- Employee Type: Full-Time
- Location: South Mountain, PA
- Category: Professional Services, Other
- Experience: Not Specified
- Date Posted: 04/11/2017
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Abraxas, a GEO Group company, is a leading provider of innovative and quality treatment programs for youth, adults and families. For 40 years, Abraxas has contracted with various county and state agencies for the operation of residential, community-based, detention/shelter services and alternative education programming. We offer specialized services for hard-to-place juvenile populations including fire setters, sexual offenders and habitual offenders in addition to gender specific programming for females in need of treatment.
A Youth Development Specialist implements the activities which support the daily schedule. The Youth Development Specialist supervises and interacts with clients, observes and addresses client behavior, and documents services in client files.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Interacts with and supervises clients during daily activities in a manner that ensures their safety and security.
- Provides effective people security (e.g., headcounts, room checks, client movement).
- Observes client behavior and intervenes appropriately.
- Processes intakes and screens clients according to program policy.
- Facilitates and documents various groups/meetings.
- Administers medication or supervises self administration of medication when necessary.
- Knows and implements emergency procedures (e.g. evacuation, CPR/first aid).
- Supports the Abraxas philosophy and mission and promotes the Seven Key Principles of care.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of Safe Crisis Management techniques and skills.
The following education requirements are acceptable for this classification including:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Detention unit employees shall have an Associate's degree or sixty (60) credit hours from an accredited college or university.
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Criminal clearances (Act 33 and 34, specific State & child clearances and, if necessary, FBI).
- Non-communicable diseases physical exam.
- Valid driver's license from employee's state of residence.
- Valid registered vehicle insurance.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER