- Employee Type: Full-Time
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Category: Professional Services, Other
- Experience: Not Specified
- Date Posted: 04/19/2017
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR
Assists in developing, organizing, and conducting programs to provide education for conditions and problems relating to drug and alcohol abuse. Conducts or assists in conducting individual or group counseling sessions and programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides relevant substance abuse information for class curriculum.
- Facilitates and co-facilitates didactic educational presentations, group counseling, and individual counseling sessions.
- Selects and recommends new instructional materials and programs for use in the substance abuse program.
- Maintains knowledge of new developments in the field of substance abuse.
- Maintains a collegian relationship with other substance abuse professionals, programs, and associations.
- Completes required testing, assessment, and psychosocial history on incoming residents as required.
- Participates in related training for substance abuse.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduated from an accredited college or university with a minimum B.A. degree, preferably in human services
- CADC, required.
- Preference given to experience within a correctional setting.
- Working knowledge of the Twelve Step Program of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
Equal Opportunity Employer