- Employee Type: Full-Time
- Location: Lawrenceville, VA
- Category: Nurse, Health Care
- Experience: Not Specified
- Date Posted: 04/16/2017
This position evaluates detainees/inmates for mental, emotional and behavioral disorders. Diagnoses disorders and determines the appropriate course of treatment. Responsible for directing and coordinating mental health functions as well as supervising and training staff members.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs the mental health program of the institution.
- Performs psychological evaluation on detainee/inmate population for mental, emotional and behavioral disorders. Diagnoses disorders, including nature and extent. Determines the appropriate course of treatment.
- Evaluates detainees/inmates mental status as to the need for transfer.
- Provides psychotherapy counseling to treat illness or distress.
- Possesses a complete awareness of psychotropic medications.
- Instructs staff and officers in suicide identification and subsequent prevention techniques.
- Provides in-service education for medical and correctional staff as required. Performs and trains staff on crisis intervention techniques.
- Consults with the Physician or Psychiatrist as needed for the proper health care needs of the detainee/inmate.
- Participates in review of the quality of care provided.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• PhD/PsyD in Psychology, behavioral sciences or related field required or a M.S. level Mental Health Professional that is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, License Professional Counselor, or Licensed Clinical Psychologist.
• Graduate of an accredited advanced degree program required.
• Must hold a current license or certification (where applicable) to practice in the state of Virginia is required. Maintains a current copy of license on file at the facility at all times.
• Three (3) years of direct work experience preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer